Paul Helmke’s ‘bridge to nowhere’

The Brady Bunch’s Paul Helmke advises President-elect Obama to “‘Build a Bridge to Nowhere Moderates,’ with Common Sense on Guns.” Helmke quotes Robert Green as saying (emphasis Helmke’s):

These findings suggest that sensible gun legislation provides a unique opportunity for the new Administration to build a bridge to moderate voters in both parties. It is no longer plausible for opponents of gun legislation to assert that gun laws will somehow lead to a total gun ban.

Left unsaid is any acknowledgment of the fact that Helmke and friends are the ones defining both “moderate,” and “common sense.” That little trick in the collectivists’ arsenal has been expertly noted by others.

Mr. Green’s mention of “[t]hese findings” is in reference to the Brady Bunch’s loudly touted poll, supposedly illustrating widespread support for the Brady Backed “common sense” . . . infringements on that which shall not be infringed. Also left unexamined is the question of the credibility of the poll–a question rather worthy of examination, it would seem.

Then again, perhaps not–after all, even if a majority (or even a large majority) of the public does support more draconian gun laws, our Republic is not supposed to be subject to the tyranny of the majority. In other words, 51% of the populace is not supposed to be able to vote away the rights of the other 49%–nor indeed, is 99% supposed to be able to vote away the rights of the other 1%. Another way to say that is that 97% of the population will not succeed in trampling the rights of the other 3%–and they would be well advised not to try.

Finally, in reference to the “bridge to moderates” claim–I thought that according to the Brady Bunch, Ray Schoenke and the rest of the AHSAholes (I can’t claim credit for that term), and His HopeandChangedness™ himself, the position on guns Obama campaigned on (when he dared mention it) was the moderate position.

If that’s the case, why would he need to “build a bridge” to moderates–wouldn’t that be a “bridge to nowhere”?

In other news–add this link to your bookmarks, and check it at least daily–you’ll be glad you did.  Mike Vanderboegh is finally blogging.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Paul Helmke’s ‘bridge to nowhere’”

  1. HTownTejas Says:

    That’s great that Mike Vanderboegh started blogging! I’ll now be reading your’s, David Codrea’s, and Mike’s daily (I read the others too, eventually, but the three of you are vigilant in supporting civil rights).

  2. 45superman Says:

    Wow, HTown–that’s some elite company you’re putting me in. You do me a great honor–thank you.

    III

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: